Burnaby Medically-Supervised Weight Loss
Weight-loss progams using prescription medication under medical supervision have received a lot of publicity and attention recently because of the dramatic results that patients have been able to achieve. Unfortunately, however, there is also a lot of misinformation that can be found on the internet and elsewhere. While a properly executed program is safe and effective, there can be some health risks with rapid significant weight loss. Dr. Chan offers patients a comprehensive medically-supervised weight loss program that monitors the changes in your body composition and replenishes your body with nutrients to keep you healthy as you lose excess body fat.
What Remedies Are Used During The Program And Where Can You Get Them?
The correct treatment differs for every patient. Some of the prescribed medications for Dr. Chan’s weight loss protocols are available only through prescription and must be administered by injection (not orally).
What Are The Steps Of The Medically-Supervised Weight Loss Program?
Initial Consultation With Dr. Chan
- Dr. Chan will meet with you to discuss your suitability for the program. He will also assess your body composition using bioimpedance analysis. Finally, you will be given a lab requisition for bloodwork to assess your overall health and establish a baseline for starting your program.
Go For Blood Test (this can be skipped if you have results of bloodwork done within the last 90 days)
- Take your lab requisition to any Life Labs patient service centre and have your bloodwork done. The results will be received by Dr. Chan’s office within a couple of business days.
Fill Your Prescription At The Pharmacy
- If appropriate, once Dr. Chan has received and reviewed your bloodwork you will then receive a prescription to be filled at the pharmacy.
Administering Injections And Discussing the Very Low-Calorie Diet
- After filling your prescription, bring the medication with you to your next appointment with Dr. Chan. He will administer your first dosage of medication and demonstrate for you how to self-administer the appropriate dosage at home. Finally, Dr. Chan will discuss with you exactly what foods and portions you will adhere to during the first week.
Weekly Follow-Up Visits
- Each week, you will meet with Dr. Chan where he will re-measure your body composition using bioimpedance analysis. This is crucial to ensuring that your weight loss is coming from excess body fat while preserving your lean muscle mass. Dr. Chan will evaluate your health status and adjust your medication accordingly.
What Should You Expect During The Medically-Supervised Weight Loss Program?
- Weight loss averaging 1/2 to 1 lbs daily
- Little to no hunger
- Loss of excess body fat while preserving your lean muscle mass
- Once finished the program, you can eat a normal healthy diet and maintain your weight loss
Is The Medication Safe?
Yes, the medication used in the program is safe when administered properly and in appropriate dosages. Because this program requires an extremely low caloric intake and toxins will be released as fat stores are metabolized, your body’s nutrients may be depleted. For this reason, Dr. Chan will monitor your progress at your weekly visit as well as administer a nutrient IVs to optimize your nutrient status if necessary.
Dr. Chan is a licensed Naturopathic Physician (ND) by the College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia. He has completed the additional training specific to medically-assisted weight loss offered by Dr. Glenn Ozalan, N.M.D. and the National Association Of Laser & Aesthetics.